Monday, July 18, 2011

The Redneck Washing Machine


In Oklahoma, disasters are [sadly] not an uncommon thing.  Think about the past 5-10 years...how many times have you been without electricity?  If you live in Moore, probably a LOT!  {Ah, the joys of living in Tornado Alley...}

Tornadoes, hurricanes, tsunamis, floods, terrorist threats, etc. all should scare you just enough to be prepared.


When the May 3rd tornado hit Moore in 1999, we were without electricity for about a week.  It was a very long week.  The national guard wouldn't let us leave our neighborhood, so we were stuck.  We had very limited supplies, but luckily we still had water and a gas cook top.

When I saw this blog post, I though it was a pretty smart thing to have, even if just for emergencies.  Trust me, I have no current plan to start doing my laundry by hand.  But, if I'm without electricity for any extended period of time, I certainly like the option of having clean clothes.

Even if you're not on the homesteader path, or you're repulsed by the thought of off-grid living, you should still check out the redneck washing machine.