Sunday, April 3, 2011

Room to Breathe

I've felt the call of a simpler life even before Hayden was diagnosed with TS.  I was looking into the smaller towns that surround Norman, and I had pretty much made up my mind that we should leave the city and move to Washington, OK shortly before he was diagnosed.  It's only about 15-20 minutes outside of Norman and looks nearly like a town frozen in time...in a good way!  No fast food joints, 1 gas station, 1 main road through the center of town, no grocery store, etc.  I have several friends that live there and they love it.  Hayden would stay outdoors 24/7 if I'd let him, so I knew the country life would be right up his alley.

But, with the TS diagnosis, I decided maybe Norman public schools would be better equipped to handle what may lie ahead for us.  His tics were very bad at the time, and I was terrified they'd only get worse.  "Worse" could mean medicating him, lots of counseling, neurologist appointments, etc.

I put my dream of the quiet life aside and decided the hustle and bustle might suck, but maybe it's what's best for Hayden?  Seems a little contradictory, right?

I get MLS emails all the time...and they're all set to send me Norman listings only.  I'm not a big fan of torture, so why even look at what I can't have!?  Fate took it out of my hands and sent me this beauty late last week:

I'd seen the listing before and I loved it then.  Seriously, is that not the best view ever!?  I'd love waking up every day and looking out onto God's amazing creation...instead of my neighbor's patio door.

The house is dated (from what I can tell in the pics) and I have no clue if it needs a ton of work or not, but I can't help but love it.

It sits on 1.8 acres and that terrifies and excites me at the same time.  I want the country life, and I think know Hayden would flourish.  But, I still have reservations.  I'm terrified that whatever decision I make won't be the right one.  What if we stay in Norman and Hayden would've done better in a smaller town?  What if I bite off more than I can chew (read: 1.8 ACRES!)?  What if the school can't cope when/if his tics get worse?

I've nearly driven myself crazy this weekend with the incessant "what-if" internal conversation.  I emailed my friend, Michelle, at midnight last night to seek her advice.  She lives in Washington and had a special needs daughter (she went home to be with Jesus when she was about 2).  I knew I'd get a very honest answer from her.  She assured me, even if she could have had her sweet Angel here on earth longer, she'd still have left Norman for small town life, even though it would have required more driving for appointments, PT, etc.  The trade off is a quiet life that centers around God, family and a close knit community.  She knows my situation/fears and gave me a whole hearted "DO IT!".  She also pointed out that the school would be required by law to do whatever was necessary to accommodate Hayden.  Hadn't thought about that yet!

I'm still thinking a lot, and praying even more than I'm thinking (and I assure you, that is a LOT).  I know that God will lead me down the path he wants me to be on if my eyes are open to see it.  Everything happens for a reason, including an email I shouldn't have ever received...

What do you think?  Big city or small town?  Can a single Mom keep up with 1.8 acres?  I'd love to hear your thoughts!  (You know...because I like to think right now...a lot.)

8 comments:

  1. If a single mom can work, save, have fun, enjoy life, keep her and her child and healthy. Keeping up an entire ranch would be a walk in the park. So 1.8 acres should be cake

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!! H is big enough to 'help' Only mow what you want for a yard let the rest do it's thing...that's what we do and we have 5 acres! The quiet country life is the way to live, I can't imagine raising my kids any other way! Jaxson knows so much more about animals, tractors, cars, outside, etc. because we live outside of town! PLUS communities like this become extended family and they support you through everything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been a single Mom for so long, that the difficulty of all I juggle doesn't phase me anymore. But, you're right, I do the work of 2 and I'm still standing! I appreciate the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jamie - H and I a good talk on the way to school this morning. I asked if he'd like living in the country or city more. He said, "I think I'd really like the country". I told him I agree and that I would too, but that means some more responsibility for him and I'd have to trust him to stay on our property and not run off. He said, "Oh Mom, I can do that easy". Kid cracks me up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this idea for you. I believe God is asking you to step out in faith and trust... watch Him be faithful toward what is good for you and H. If it's not His plan, ask Him to close the doors, and He will. Sounds like to me that a positive door is opening. The key words are "Trust God." Never fear tomorrow... God is already there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. that's what riding lawn mowers and a little boy who will enjoy learning responsibility are for ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. LaVon - Oh, I miss you so much! Thank you for the wonderful words of encouragement. I'm ready to step out in faith, and I've been praying that the doors will open if I'm supposed to walk through them. Love it when my thoughts and prayers are confirmed by another!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shelly - I so agree! I think the values and lifestyle I'm striving for will be even more instilled in Hayden if we live outside the city.

    ReplyDelete