Thursday, February 2, 2012

Homemade Honey Nut Granola

Yeah, yeah, I know...I said in my very first blog post that even though I was trying to make some big changes in my life, I wasn't going to "give up make-up, wear Birkenstock sandals or eat an abundance of granola", but apparently I lied.  Partly.  Not only do I eat granola almost daily, I even make it myself now!  Oh.Em.Gee.  Don't worry, I still wear too much make-up and wouldn't be caught dead in a pair of Birkenstock's.

If you're new to the granola world, let me tell you...it's is a tad pricey.  Thankfully, it's not hard to make at all.  But, you do have to check your Adult A.D.D. at the door.  How do I know this?  One burned batch too many...  Don't ask.

I haven't tried this recipe as a "cereal" yet, since it has a lot of nuts.  I think I'll make a batch with 1/2 the amount of nuts (or none at all?) and try it as a cereal.  I bet it'll be delish.


Honey Nut Granola
4 c oats, uncooked (slow cook / old fashion type)
1 c chopped pecans
1 c sliced almonds
1/3 c olive oil
1/3 c honey
1/3 c brown sugar
1/3 c boiling water
1 t salt
1 t vanilla
1 t almond extract
1 t cinnamon

Combine first 3 ingredients in a large bowl.  In a separate bowl, combine all other ingredients.  Pour liquid mixture onto the dry mixture and stir until coated.  Pour on to 2 greased cookie sheets & bake at 400*, stirring every 2-6 minutes (DO NOT let it burn...stirring is key!) until evenly dry and toasted.  I usually have to do about 5-6 stirs before it's fully toasted, but every oven is different.

I stir 1/4 cup of this into my homemade yogurt for breakfast or a quick snack.  Oh man, it's good!  Nearly as good as a bowl of ice cream, if you ask me.  If I tried fruit in there (a la the McD's "Fruit & Yogurt Parfait") too, I'm sure I'd pass out from it's sheer deliciousness.  {I'm really trying to keep my sugar intake as low as possible, so not doing much fruit right now.}

It's really good, and only 90 calories per serving.  If you want to cut the calories down even more, reduce the amount of nuts you use or cut them out completely.  Just remember to increase the amount of oats, to compensate for the nut reduction.

Let me know what you think, if you try it out.  Any other granola converts out there?  Are there any other ways to use dry granola that I should know about?