Wednesday, August 17, 2011

How to Eat Like a Girl Scout

For those of you who don't live in Oklahoma, let me just tell you...it's been a HOT summer.  This has to be what sitting on the surface of the sun feels like.  Seriously.  We are about to break the 1980 record of 50 days with 100+ degree temps.  It's miserable.  My container garden looks like tiny pots of West Texas.  So sad.

While living with Dad and Bonnie, we have this fab arrangement where I do 90% of the cooking, and they buy all our groceries.  Pretty bomb.com if you ask me.  I will totally work for food.

However, with scorching-surface-of-the-sun heat, I do my best NOT to use the oven for dinner.  I'm super intimidated by the grill, but Dad helps me out.  When Courtney lived with me, she was the grill master.  I'm a homemaker, not a husband.  Which reminds me, I totally need to get one of those...(a husband)  Who the heck is going to work the grill when I move to the new house!?  Sheesh...  I digress.

I do not own a Bobby Flay cookbook.  Well, if I do, it's in storage...so it's of zero use to me.  And, it takes about 4.2 seconds to get sick of eating grilled chicken.  Time to come up with some new dinner on the grill ideas, so I channelled my inner Girl Scout.

Okay, so I was a Girl Scout for maybe a whopping 6 months.  So not my thing.  But, my friend Seana did get me to come along to day camp one year.  I remember we cooked our lunch over an open fire pit.  The english muffin pizzas were pretty tasty (remember those?).  And those grilled banana boats?  OMG...delish.  And I remember some foil packet things, but it had hamburger.  Hamburger meat is good for about 2 things in my book...  Hamburgers and Hamburger Helper. 

But this?  This is fabulous...and it has no hamburger in it.  Bonus!
I was cooking for 4, so I laid out 4 large cuts of heavy duty aluminum foil.  Probably 18 inches square-ish.  Give or take an inch or 4. 

Each packet contained [layer in this order]: 1 potato (washed & chopped) with salt & pepper on it, 1/4 onion (large chunks), 1/4 bell pepper (large chunks) and 1 piece of smoked sausage (sliced into bite size pieces)

Nex time, I'll definitely put more onion in it.  They were SO good.

Once your packets are assembled, fold the top over about 3 times and then fold the sides over about 2 times to ensure a good seal.  You want these bad boys to steam and cook in their little foil container so all the flavors meld.
Flop them on a med/high grill for about 30 minutes.  Once they're done, put on your plate and vent them so you don't burn yourself.  They are very hot.
So delicious!

Sadly, this is the ONLY grill idea I have other than steaks, burgers, hot dogs and chicken.  Do you have a favorite obscure grill recipe?  A new take on an old favorite?  Please share!  If I have to eat a boring chicken breast again this summer, I WILL CRY!  {Trust me, it's not pretty...it's ugly.  We do not want me to cry!}